How to Benefit from the Preaching of God’s Word
To all of us, including our children, who regularly listen to the preaching of the Word of God, Puritan preacher Thomas Watson has some guidelines on how to benefit from the preaching of God's Word:
1. Prepare to hear the Word by bathing your soul in prayer.
2. Come to the Word with a holy appetite and a tender, teachable heart.
3. Be attentive to the preached Word.
4. Receive with meekness the engrafted Word (James 1:21).
5. Mingle the preached Word with faith.
6. Strive to retain what has been preached and pray about the Word proclaimed.
7. Put the Word into practice; be doers of it (James 1:22-25).
8. Beg the Spirit to accompany the Word with effectual blessing.
9. Familiarize yourself with the Word by sharing it with others.