Thursday, October 25, 2018

Top 12 Influential Books in My Life and Ministry

Photo courtesy of Jill Savage at www.jillsavage.org
In no particular order, here are the list of books and their authors that have influenced me the most in my Christian life and ministry:


1. Basic Christianity by John R. W. Stott. "Basic Christianity" is the first book on basic theology that I've read. It has increased my knowledge of my sinfulness and misery through Stott's clear exposition of the Ten Commandments. I was convicted of my sin. Stott also emphasizes in this book the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ at the Cross and how that sacrifice provided for me the assurance that all my sins are forgiven in Him. So I was also comforted and delighted to know that I don't need to add anything to Christ’s atoning sacrifice to save myself.


2. Knowing God by J. I. Packer. This book has been my favorite ever since I was introduced to it back in 1990s. It has deepened my knowledge of and devotion to God. Packer's scholarly yet pastoral exposition of God's sovereign grace in the salvation of mankind through Jesus Christ has left me dumbfounded. Through Packer’s various expositions I was able to understand the gospel better and became more grateful to God. I make it a habit to read this classic every year, or at least a few chapters of the book.


3. Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin. I've learned deeply about the Christian faith and the Christian life by reading Calvin.


4. Revelation: A Commentary by Gregory K. Beale. I've studied the book of Revelation and led Bible studies of it several times already. Beale's book has influenced a lot of my understanding of it.


5. Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts and The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges. I've benefited a lot from Jerry Bridges's writings and these books have greatly influenced me in terms of understanding God's sovereignty and providence and holiness in the Christian life.


6. The Holy Spirit and The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction by Sinclair B. Ferguson. Ferguson’s book on the Holy Spirit is one of the best books on the subject. It was one of the required readings in seminary. His book on the Christian life is really a Biblical-theological introductory reading on the doctrine of salvation.


7. The Confessions by St. Augustine. One of the Christian classics one can't afford not to read.


8. Calvin's Doctrine of the Christian Life by Ronald S. Wallace. One the best and most helpful books I've read and reviewed during my seminary days.


9. The Heidelberg Catechism and its commentary by Zacarias Ursinus. Although not a book but a catechism, the Heidelberg Catechism is my favorite Reformation document and one that has helped me better understand the gospel of Christ and the Christian life.


10. The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict by Ken Sande. This book was first recommended by my New Testament and Ethics professor. I've read it after seminary but the benefit I'm getting from it is just amazing.


11. The Holiness of God and Chosen by God by R. C. Sproul. These two books were instrumental in helping me understand Reformed Theology when I was being introduced to it. I still read these books every now and then.


12. The Book of Pastoral Rule by Gregory the Great. The book is a classic on pastoral theology. It contains ancient godly wisdom from someone who served God and the church of Jesus Christ with great zeal and knowledge. Every pastor will surely benefit in reading this book of practical wisdom of an ancient pastor.


There are other books that have strengthened me in the Christian faith one way or the other but I think these books are among the top twelve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog