Wish List of Old Testament Bible Commentaries for the Reformed Institute of Ministry (RIM)
The Old Testament commentaries included in this wish list were chosen mainly due to their generally conservative evangelical and Reformed perspective. The list includes introductory and advanced levels commentaries. Some of the commentaries require knowledge of the original language (Hebrew). Most are easily understandable and helpful for homiletical (preaching) and catechetical (teaching) purposes. The Lord willing, we would be able to strengthen our Old Testament commentary collection at the RIM library as we acquire these commentaries in the near future. The New Testament commentaries wish list will follow in a week or two.
Abbreviations Used in this list
AOTC (Apollos Old Testament Commentary)
Baker (Baker Commentary on the Old Testament Wisdom and Psalms)
BSC (Bible Student’s Commentary)
BST (The Bible Speaks Today)
DSB (The Daily Study Bible Series)
EBC (The Expositor’s Bible Commentary)
EP (An Evangelical Press Study Commentary)
Focus (Focus on the Bible)
GAOT (The Gospel According to the Old Testament)
Geneva (Geneva Series of Commentaries)
Hermeneia (Hermeneia Series)
Mentor (A Mentor Commentary)
NAC (The New American Commentary)
NIBC (New International Biblical Commentary)
NICOT (The New International Commentary on the Old Testament)
NIVAC (The NIV Application Commentary)
PC (The Preacher’s Commentary)
PTW (Preaching the Word)
REC (Reformed Expository Commentary)
TOTC (Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries)
WBC (Word Biblical Commentary)
Welwyn (Welwyn Commentary Series)
The Book of Moses (Pentateuch)
1. Genesis – Gordon J. Wenham, Genesis 1-15 and Genesis 16-50 (WBC); Kenneth A. Matthews, Genesis 1-11:26 and Genesis 11:27-50:26 (NAC); Allen P. Ross, Creation and Blessing; Bruce Waltke, Genesis: A Commentary; Iain M. Duguid, Living in the Gap Between Promise and Reality: The Gospel According to Abraham (GAOT), Living in the Grip of Relentless Grace: The Gospel in the Lives of Isaac and Jacob (GAOT) .
2. Exodus – J. A. Motyer, The Message of Exodus (BST); Douglas K. Stuart, Exodus (NAC); John L. Mackay, Exodus (Mentor); Philip Graham Ryken, Exodus: Saved for God’s Glory (PTW).
3. Leviticus – Gordon J. Wenham, The Book of Leviticus (NICOT); Mark F. Rooker, Leviticus (NAC); Allen P. Ross, Holiness to the Lord; Andrew Bonar, Leviticus (Geneva).
4. Numbers – Gordon Wenham, Numbers (TOTC); Timothy R. Ashley, The Book of Numbers (NICOT); Iain Duguid, Numbers: God’s Presence in the Wilderness (PTW).
5. Deuteronomy – Peter C. Craigie, The Book of Deuteronomy (NICOT); J. G. McConville, Deuteronomy (AOTC); John D. Currid, Deuteronomy (EP); J. Ridderbos, Deuteronomy (BSC); Christopher Wright, Deuteronomy (NIBC).
6. Joshua – Dale Ralph Davis, Joshua: No Falling Words (Focus); Richard S. Hess, Joshua (TOTC); Marten Woudstra, The Book of Joshua (NICOT); James M. Boice, Joshua.
7. Judges – Dale Ralph Davis, Judges: Such a Great Salvation (Focus); Daniel I. Block, Judges, Ruth (NAC); Michael Wilcock, The Message of Judges (BST); George M. Schwab, Right in their Own Eyes: The Gospel According to Judges (GAOT).
8. Ruth – Robert L. Hibbard Jr., The Book of Ruth (NICOT); Iain M. Duguid, Esther and Ruth (REC); Gordon Keddie, Even in Darkness (Welwyn); Sinclair Ferguson, Faithful God: An Exposition of the Book of Ruth; Dean R. Ulrich, From Famine to Fullness; The Gospel According to Ruth (GAOT).
9. 1 Samuel – Dale Ralph Davis, 1 Samuel: Looking on the Heart (Focus); David T. Tsumura, The Message of First Samuel (NICOT); Richard D. Phillips, 1 Samuel (REC); Joyce Baldwin, 1 and 2 Samuel (TOTC); Gordon Keddie, Dawn of a Kingdom (Welwyn).
10. 2 Samuel – Dale Ralph Davis, 2 Samuel: Out of Every Adversity (Focus); Gordon Keddie, Triumph of the King (Welwyn); Ronald F. Youngblood, “1 and 2 Samuel” (in EBC); Mark J. Boda, After God’s Own Heart: The Gospel According to David (GAOT).
11. 1 Kings – Dale Ralph Davis, 1 Kings: The Wisdom and the Folly (Focus); Paul R. House, 1 and 2 Kings (NAC); Philip Graham Ryken, 1 Kings (REC); Raymond Dillard, Faith in the Face of Apostasy: The Gospel According to Elijah & Elisha (GAOT).
12. 2 Kings – Dale Ralph Davis, 2 Kings: The Power and the Fury (Focus); Iain Provan, 1 and 2 Kings (NIBC); G. Van Rongen, Elisha the Prophet.
13. 1 Chronicles – Roddy L. Braun, 1 Chronicles (WBC); Richard Pratt, 1 and 2 Chronicles (Mentor); Andrew E. Hill, 1 and 2 Chronicles (NIVAC)
14. 2 Chronicles - Raymond Dillard, 2 Chronicles (WBC); Martin Selman, 2 Chronicles (TOTC).
15. Ezra – F. Charles Fensham, Ezra and Nehemiah (NICOT); Derek Kidner, Ezra and Nehemiah (TOTC).
16. Nehemiah – F. Charles Fensham, Ezra and Nehemiah (NICOT); J. G. McConville, Ezra and Nehemiah (DSB);
17. Esther – Karen Jobes, Esther (NIVAC); Iain Duguid, Esther and Ruth (REC); Joyce G. Baldwin, Esther (TOTC)
18. Job – David J. A. Clines, Job 1-20, Job 21-37 (WBC); David Atkinson, The Message of Job (BST); Derek Thomas, The Storm Breaks (Welwyn): David R. Jackson, Crying out for Vindication: The Gospel According to Job (GAOT).
19. Psalms – Willem A. VanGemeren, “Psalm” (in EBC); Gerald Wilson, Psalms, Vol 1 (NIVAC); Charles Spurgeon, The Treasury of David (3 Vols.); James M. Boice, Psalms (Vols. 1-3).
20. Proverbs – Bruce K. Waltke, The Book of Proverbs Chapters 1-15 and Chapters 16-31 (NICOT); Tremper Longman III, Proverbs (Baker); Derek Kidner, Proverbs (TOTC).
21. Ecclesiastes – Derek Kidner, The Message of Ecclesiastes (BST); Michael A, Eaton, Ecclesiastes (TOTC); Craig G. Bartolomew, Ecclesiastes (Baker).
22. Song of Songs – Tom Gledhill, The Song of Songs (BST); Richard S. Hess, Song of Songs(Baker); Tremper Longman III, Song of Songs (NICOT).
23. Isaiah – J. Alec Motyer, The Prophecy of Isaiah; John Oswalt, The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 1-39 and Chapter 40-66 (NICOT); E. J. Young, The Book of Isaiah (Vols. 1-3); Derek Thomas, God Delivers (Welwyn).
24. Jeremiah – J. A. Thompson, The Book of Jeremiah (NICOT); John L. Mackay, Jeremiah 1-20, Jeremiah 21-52 (Mentor); Tremper Longman III, Jeremiah and Lamentations (NIBC).
25. Lamentations – J. Andrew Dearman, Jeremiah/Lamentations (NIVAC); Philip Graham Ryken, Jeremiah and Lamentations: From Sorrow to Hope (PTW); John L. Mackay, Lamentations (Mentor).
26. Ezekiel – Iain M. Duguid, Ezekiel (NIVAC), Daniel I. Block, The Book of Ezekiel, Vols. 1-2 (NICOT); Derek Thomas, God Strengthens (Welwyn); Peter Craigie, Ezekiel, (DSB).
27. Daniel – E. J. Young, Daniel (Geneva); Iain M. Duguid, Daniel (REC); Sinclair Ferguson, Daniel (PC); Tremper Longman III, Daniel (NIVAC); George M. Schwab, Hope in the Midst of A Hostile World: The Gospel According to Daniel (GAOT); Herman Veldkamp, Dreams and Dictators: On the Book of Daniel.
28. Hosea – Douglas Stuart, Hosea-Jonah (WBC); Daniel Allan Hubbard, Hosea (TOTC); Derek Kidner, The Message of Hosea (BST); Michael P. V. Barrett, Love Divine and Unfailing: the Gospel According to Hosea (GAOT); Herman Veldkamp, Hosea: Love’s Complaint.
29. Joel – Thomas E. McComiskey, The Minor Prophets; O. Palmer Robertson, Prophet of the Coming Day of the Lord (Welwyn); David Allan Hubbard, Joel and Amos (TOTC).
30. Amos – Douglas Stuart, Hosea-Jonah (WBC); Shalom M. Paul, Amos (Hermeneia); J. A. Motyer, The Message of Amos (BST); Herman Veldkamp, The Farmer from Tekoa: On the Book of Amos; Gordon Keddie, The Lord is His Name: Studies in Amos (Welwyn).
31. Obadiah – Douglas Stuart, Hosea-Jonah (WBC); Ervin Busenitz, Joel and Obadiah (Mentor); David W. Baker, Joel, Obadiah, and Malachi (NIVAC).
32. Jonah - Douglas Stuart, Hosea-Jonah (WBC); James M. Boice, The Minor Prophets, Vol.1; David W. Baker, T. Desmond Alexander, & Bruce Waltke, Obadiah, Jonah and Micah (TOTC); Bryan D. Estelle, Salvation Through Judgment and Mercy: The Gospel According to Jonah (GAOT); Sinclair Ferguson, Man Overboard: The Story of Jonah; O. Palmer Robertson, Jonah; Gordon Keddie, Preacher on the Run: The Message of Jonah (Welwyn).
33. Micah – Bruce Waltke, A Commentary on Micah; David Prior, The Message of Joel, Micah, & Habakkuk (BST); John Calvin, Sermons on the Book of Micah; Dale Ralph Davis, Micah(EP); Richard D. Phillips, Jonah & Micah (REC); John L. Mackay, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habbakkuk, Zephaniah: God’s Just Demands (Focus).
34. Nahum – O. Palmer Robertson, The Books of Nahum, Habakkuk and Zephaniah (NICOT); David W. Baker, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah (TOTC).
35. Habakkuk – O. Palmer Robertson, The Books of Nahum, Habakkuk and Zephaniah (NICOT); Kenneth L. Barker and Waylon Bailey, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah (NAC).
36. Zephaniah - O. Palmer Robertson, The Books of Nahum, Habakkuk and Zephaniah (NICOT); Daniel Webber, The Coming of the Warrior-King: Zephaniah Simply Explained (Welwyn); James Bruckner, Jonah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah (NIVAC).
37. Haggai – Pieter Verhoef, The Books of Haggai and Malachi (NICOT); Joyce Baldwin, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi (TOTC); John L. Mackay, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi (Focus).
38. Zechariah – Richard D. Phillips, Zechariah (REC); T. V. Moore, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi (Geneva); Meredith Kline, Glory in our Midst: A Biblical-Theological Reading of Zechariah’s Night Visions; Barry G. Webb, The Message of Zechariah (BST); Bryan R. Gregory, Longing for God in an Age of Discouragement: The Gospel According to Zechariah (GAOT).
39. Malachi – Iain M. Duguid, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi (EP); Pieter Verhoef, The Books of Haggai and Malachi (NICOT).